Light therapy lamps are now popular for people who want to improve their mood, reduce the symptoms of seasonal depression or just get a good night's sleep. Here, we will provide you with helpful tips and information on choosing the best lamp for your needs.
What Exactly is a Bright Light Therapy Lamp?
Bright light therapy delivers phototherapy via a device like a lightbox, lamp or even special glasses. They are also known as happy lights or sad lamps because they treat certain forms of depression. In addition, bright light therapy lamps are designed to emit a specific type of light to help with different conditions.
The light emitted by these lamps is typically brighter than what you would find in your home or office. The best light therapy lamps produce 10,000 LUX. This level provides the benefits we get from the sun and is strong enough to give relief.
How Does Phototherapy Make You Better?
The photons in light therapy stimulate cells in the retina called ganglion cells. These cells send messages to the hypothalamus, which is a region of the brain that is responsible for controlling our daily rhythms.
The hypothalamus responds by releasing hormones like serotonin and melatonin, affecting mood, sleep and other body functions. So—by replenishing our levels of sunlight, we can help our bodies and minds to function better.
The Benefits of Bright Light Therapy
Bright light therapy is an effective treatment for sleep problems and even depression. It also has been shown to reduce stress levels and improve mood.
Who Should Use a Bright Light Therapy Lamp?
Doctors now say that bright light therapy devices are safe and effective for treating various conditions and disorders. However, not everyone needs bright light therapy lamps.
If you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), you should consider getting one. These lamps can help you better handle the winter months when there is less sunlight in your life.
A light therapy lamp will also be helpful for people who have non-seasonal depression, especially if they work odd hours and do not get enough daylight exposure during the day or night.
Bright light therapy is also commonly used for fibromyalgia, computer vision syndrome and jet lag.
Medical Grade vs. Health & Wellness Light Therapy Lamps
The kind of bright light you need will depend on how severe your Seasonal Affective Disorder or depression is. Getting a medical-grade bright light therapy lamp is critical for those with severe symptoms.
- Medical Grade Models: These lamps can be a little pricey, but they work well for people who need intense treatment. They are usually larger and more powerful than lamps designed for home or office use. Also, the lamps are designed to emit direct light downward from an above position. They emit 10,000 LUX from 12 inches away.
- Health & Wellness Models: If you have mild symptoms, then a health and wellness light therapy lamp may be the best option for you. These lamps are not as bright as medical-grade models, but they can still relieve seasonal depression. They also tend to be more affordable and typically produce 10,000 LUX from 10 inches away.
What to Look for When Shopping
When you are looking at different lamps and light boxes, there are a few factors that will affect how effective it is and what kind of conditions it may be helpful with:
- Intensity: The higher the intensity, the more likely the device has phototherapy properties. However, keep in mind that light therapy is not recommended for people who are epileptic or pregnant.
- The Light Spectrum: Bright light devices typically use either full-spectrum or blue lights to deliver therapeutic effects to the user. While blue light is more effective at treating Seasonal Affective Disorder and low energy levels, it can hurt your eyes (especially if you are on certain medications). Instead, shop for a full-spectrum device that uses small amounts of blue light for better safety.
- Sensitivities: If your eyes are sensitive, you might want to consider a light therapy lamp that features various light brightness settings. Bright Health's 14-inch Light Therapy Lamp comes with four brightness settings, so you can find the setting that works for you.
- Size: The larger your lamp, the easier it will be for you and others in your household (especially children) to use. It's also important if you plan on moving around while using this device. Make sure it comes with a sturdy base so as not to topple over.
- Portability: If you are concerned about portability, a smaller lamp may be suitable for you. However, keep in mind that these lamps usually emit less light and require longer exposure times to be effective. You can also find some models with flexible necks so they can easily be directed toward the area you are sitting in.
- Timer: A timer is a great feature to have, especially if you plan on using your light therapy lamp for 30 minutes or more each day. This will help ensure that you don't use the lamp for too long and cause any adverse effects.
- Different Brightness Levels: As we mentioned above, the best lamps will produce 10,000 LUX. What is Lux? Lux is how much light shines in a given area. This unit of measurement tells you if the light was useful or not since too much brightness can damage your eyes.
- Price: This aspect will be a driving factor in what kind of lamp you choose to buy. For some people, paying top-dollar for an effective medical-grade lamp is worth it, while others may find a less expensive model that still emits the necessary spectrum of light helpful. Also, the cheapest lightboxes often provide insufficient bright light therapy making them ineffective.
- Appearance: While not as important as functionality, aesthetics do play a role in choosing the best lamp for you. Keep your preferences and personal style in mind when shopping to prevent buyer's remorse later down the road. Bright Health's Light Therapy Lamps’ chic and attractive design lets it double as a home décor item you can leave out for easy access for times you want to boost your mood.
Make a Choice to Brighten Your Health Today
Now that you've done your research, it's time to make a choice. Consider the factors we've listed above and start shopping for our bright light therapy lamps today. Bright Health's safe and effective light therapy lamp checks all the boxes for what you'll need to feel better.With four different brightness settings, it's perfect for just about anyone, and its sleek design makes it a great addition to any home décor. If you are interested in purchasing a bright light therapy lamp, visit our website to learn more about our products.